M.Ed, Educational Technology
University of Missouri, December 2009
M.A., Information Science
University of Missouri, December 2008
Tulane University, May 2007
Magna Cum Laude
Private Academic Library Network of Indiana (2012-Present)
Systems Coordinator (Part-Time)
- Consortium-wide support for library information technologies, including discovery system (ExLibris Primo), OpenURL link resolver (SFX), and system interoperability support
Trine University November (2009- Present)
Senior Information Services Librarian
- Technical lead for library systems (ExLibris Aleph ILS, Primo discovery system, and SFX OpenURL link resolver) and library information technology
- Lead for branding and marketing for the LINK, an innovative digital learning space
- Designed and delivered instruction in information and digital literacy for over 60% of undergraduate student body each year
- As lead for electronic resource management and information systems management, oversaw 300% increase in digital downloads since 2009
- Experience utilizing a CMS for instruction design (Moodle)
- Subject research and collections specialist for faculty in Humanities, Social Sciences, and School of Education
- Experience managing student employees and digital publishing intern
- Outreach and promotion of innovative teaching technologies, particularly involving digital resources
State Historical Society of Missouri October (2008-October 2009)
National Digital Newspapers Project Assistant
- Analyzed historic newspapers (1860-1922) in print and microfilm for a large-scale digitization project
- Created, analyzed, and managed descriptive metadata
- Wrote descriptive title essays to aid retrieval through the Library of Congress Chronicling America site
- Engaged in local system and OCLC Connexion cataloging and classification, updating and modifying records according to CONSER serial standards.
Skills and Knowledge
- HTML/CSS (Fluent)
- MARC/AACR2 (Fluent)
- XML/XSLT (Fluent)
- RDA (Proficient)
- MODS/Dublin Core (Proficient)
- ColdFusion (Proficient)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop/InDesign) (Proficient)
- PHP (Proficient)
- Unix (Working Knowledge)
- Moodle support
- Technology training and support
- Magnuson, L. (2012). Online help technology at Trine University. IOLUG, Indianapolis, IN.
- Magnuson, L. and Brubaker, N. (2012). Primo: Outside the Box (Customization of the Primo discovery layer). ExLibris User Group of North America (ELUNA), Salt Lake City, UT
- Magnuson, L. (2012). Gamification in Education. PALNI Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Annual Meeting. Taylor University, Upland, IN.
- Magnuson, L. (May 10, 2011). Data Privacy and Libraries. Indiana-Purdue University Fort Wayne.
- Kump, C. & Magnuson, L. (May 2011). Anatomy of a Text (SMS) Reference Question. 2011 Private Academic Library Network of Indiana All-Staff Meeting.
- Magnuson, Lauren. 2011. Promoting privacy: Online reputation management as an information literacy skill. College and Research Library News, 72(3), 137-140.
- Budd, John M., and Lauren Magnuson. 2010. “Higher Education Literature Revisited: Citation Patterns Examined.” Research In Higher Education 51.3: 294-304.
I'm an information professional with experience in academic libraries supporting web applications and educational technologies.
View CV »
I work with digital interfaces that enable discovery of massive amounts of information.
View Projects »
Implementing a commercial or open-source discovery solution? Investigating institutional repositories? Let me know how I can help.
Contact Me »